8.26.2015

100 Years of Fashion



100 Years of Fashion (Mode.com)


Have you seen Mode's 100 years of fashion in under 3 minutes?  It's an awesome recap of the biggest trends that created each decade's most iconic fashion. It's amazing how some decades drove the trend for the next (like 1955 to 1965), while some move in an entirely different direction completely (like 1975 to 1985).  I love looking to past trends for current inspiration... why reinvent the wheel when there are so many gorgeous looks waiting to be modernized?  My personal faves are 1955 & 1965... I love the nod to Hollywood glamour and the idea of dressing up for every occasion. 

Not to mention it was in the 1960's when the women's liberation movement started, and there was a strong cultural change with more of women entering the paid workplace. Can you even believe in the 1960's a bank could refuse to give an unmarried woman a credit card?  Women also couldn't get an Ivy League education (Harvard didn't admit women until 1977), and we earned $0.59 to the dollar that men made. So while we have made progress (women now earn $0.77 to the dollar) - we have a long ways to go... and I feel a personal duty to maximize the opportunities that women of the past made possible. We need to continue to fight to be seen as equals so we can all celebrate the day when women earn $1.01 to a man's dollar :)


10 comments:

Rachel McCarthy said...

What a fun post! It's so amazing how trends have changed over the years. Such a great recap!

xo, Rachel
A Blonde's Moment

Danielle said...

I really enjoyed reading this post and looking at the photos of different outfits throughout the years. I agree with you and like the 1965 look the most. Have great day, Heather!

www.spring2spring.com

Andrea Nine said...

Such a GREAT post! I love how trends come full circle too! Such fun and I hope you have a lovely day!!!

Unknown said...

I have seen this and it is SO cool! And great minds think alike and like the same fashion - definitely 50s and 60s for me too!

Rach said...

This is super cool! I love hove how fashion and style evolves!

www.rdsobsessions.com

Color Me Kiki said...

This is such a cool video! It's awesome to see how fashion has changed. Thanks for sharing this, great post!
xo Kiki
http://colormekiki.com/

Beauty Follower said...

Such a fun post!

http://beautyfollower.blogspot.gr/

Elle Sees said...

i found this fascinating!! i love seeing the trends of the past as well as their influences of the future.

Jenn said...

This is a great post! I studied fashion in college and it's always amazing to me that even though fashion has come a long way since the beginning of time, we're still looking to the past for inspiration!

~Jenn
a small bit

Frikken Duckie said...

That is so cool! I've always been a fan of the 50's and 60's styles but I'll always love the 90's and 2000's. Even those slinky lingerie tops and lace-up low-rise jeans. Hahaha.

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS